Finally went on a road trip! I've been dying to get out of town for a while now and last weekend I went up to Whakapapa with 9 other friends...I didn't ski or snowboard as I just wanted to take a break and leave Wellington for a change of scenery... it was a great trip.. a little tiring and frought with obstacles.. but we got there... the others got to ski and board... and I got to read and scrap! (Yes.. I brought a tiny bit of scrapping with me) and all was good.

I woke up late on the Saturday morning when we were supposed to leave. I only managed to wake up at 5.25am and we were supposed to meet up at the Indonesian Embassy at 5.30am! YIKES! Total panic there for a while.. but we got there eventually and started packing up the cars with our stuff and managed to leave Wellington around 6.30am.

We got to Whakapapa Village (at the bottom of the skifield) around 10.45am and there was a sign saying that the road up to the mountain is closed as there was no parking space left! Man, we were not happy! We had to queue for a good 45 minutes at least to get to the ticket booth to get tickets for the shuttle to take us up the mountain. Poor Jay and Fahmi had to carry their boards all the way from the car to the ticket booth... and after we got our tickets, there was about another hour's wait for shuttles. The line was crazy long! So we entertained ourselves taking photos and such.. but you can take only so many photos when you're tired of waiting and just want to get up the mountains.

We made it up to the ski field around 12.30pm...and we were starving by then! All of us pretty much made a beeline for the cafe and the queue in there was crazy! By the time it got to our turn to order, a lot of the food were out. Had a quick lunch and a few of the boys went off to snowboard. Us girls together with Zainul and Agus went and got the Sightseeing lift pass and we just took the chair lifts all the way up to the top. We did stop at the lower mountain to take a few photos and when we made it up to the upper mountain we were pretty frozen! There was another cafe up there and we took the chance to grab a cup of coffee for afternoon tea and pretty much to try and warm ourselves up a little before going back down.

Jay met up with just as we were going to catch the lifts to go back down.. he boarded right below us, got a few photos of him, but not very good ones. I was so cold that my hands were shaking so badly the photos were quite blurred. Plus it started raining and the wind was blowing the rain right in our faces! OMG that was the longest ride down ever! Especially since it was the last trip down and everyone was heading down.. it felt like eternity before we got to the bottom again. I went straight to the bathroom in the cafe to try and warm my hands with the hand dryer! My face was all pink and frozen!! I couldn't feel my toes and fingers much by that stage. I just don't know how people live in places where the temperatures dipped below 0 in winter! I loved the experience of it despite being frozen though. We then had to queue for the shuttle ride down again.. the wait was quite excruciating.

The backpackers that we stayed at was pretty good.. they were nice enough to turn the heaters on before we checked in, so our rooms were pretty toasty! That evening we just chilled. I roomed with Jay, Yessy, Harridz and Zainul. Took our turns in the hot shower and had dinner. We brought quite a bit of food with us.. so we had a feast while watching tv. By about 10pm all of us were wiped and called it a night.

The next morning, we headed out early... by 8.30am we were at the ski field. This time, we drove all the way up. Unfortunately the roads were really icy, so only 4WDs and cars with chains were allowed up. Harridz had to park at the lowest carpark and catch the shuttle up. Surprisingly even at 8.30am most of the carparks were starting to fill up and we only managed to get as far as carpark 5.. and pretty much hiked all the way up to the skifield. After everyone got their passes and headed off, I found a spot by the window in the cafe, got a mochacinno and sat down and started to scrap. Yup.. I brought my This Is Me journal to work on. I had prepped the pages a little and since it was a journaling challenge and involved no photos for me.. all I needed was pens! :D Turned out well.. I finished my 2 entries and got to read my book too. All in all a pretty relaxing and productive morning.

Everyone congregated again at about 12.30pm - took a few photos and made our way back to the cars. We only did a halfday because we rented one car and had to get it back to Wellington by 5.50pm. So off we went... A pretty uneventful drive back.. we did stop in the middle of nowhere to take a few photos and stretch our legs. I was kinda stressed and worried that we couldn't get the car back in time, but we did... just by the skin of our noses! Headed off to dinner and went home..and I was so tired I crashed by 10pm on Sunday night.

Photos from the trip:

Getting nearer to our destination

All decked out ready to go...

The only thing you can do to kill time waiting in line is take photos.

Doing the tourist thing.. photos with the snow

Leaving the Whakapapa ski field..

I was so cold I had to wear Jay's spare jacket.. I was drowning in it!

In the middle of no where really.. but there's a single lonesome tree on top of a hill, so we stopped for photos and stretch our legs.

This happens to be the only group photo of us from the whole weekend!

Now on to scrappy news...

Holly and Maureen recently started a blog (This Is Me) that challenges us to journal about ourself and topics are posted every Monday and Thursday.. I thought it's a really great idea and also made it a challenge to myself to try and do this without photos so I decided to jump in and take part in the challenge. Here's my journal - I really like how the cover turned out. I painted and stamp and inked it and added Basic Grey rubons and a little bit of Hambly and some American Crafts alpha stickers and voila! my cover is done!

The first topic for the This Is Me journal is IMHO (In My Humble Opinion). Painted and bubble wrap stamped and inked the page before I went up to the mountains in the weekend, oh and the stickers for the title too. I sat at a cafe and did the journaling for this.(click for larger picture)

The second topic is My Hobbies. I inked and stuck the Love Elsie pp to the page before I went up to the mountains in the weekend also. And just filled in the letter stickers when I got home. Did the journaling and title there.

This is the third journaling topic just posted today.. and I got this done today too! This is a first that I ever get anything done on the same day! LOL! The topic is Favorite Friend Of The Moment. Used all LOVE Elsie goodies from the OPAAT July Kit and 7Gypsies gaffer tape (not from the kit) and a little doodling for the border.

Did this a few weeks ago and I forgot to post it here... :) Just a simple one of my cute cousin Daniel.

Well.. that's a long post! Thanks for stopping by and thanks for reading to the end. Have a happy week! Mine's almost over... since I'm posting this on Wednesday despite starting the draft on Monday! :)
18 Responses
  1. Silvitanova Says:

    Oh, what a great trip! It's always strange to realise that it's winter where you live and it's summer over here :-)
    Love that journal!..but I've told you already at SIS!

  2. Nat Says:

    awesome photos!!! what a cool trip! Love your journal pages too!

  3. That is one COOL trip!! I have never seen the snow and I dream of going to NZ.
    Love your journal so much!!

  4. Leah Says:

    All that snow looks wonderful! We've had 100 degree weather for several weeks now. Really like your this is me journal..looking at everyone's work on this is making me want to participate.

    And to answer your question..those thickers are actually red, but they are a light shade of red, so they did look pink in the picture of my layout. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

  5. Ady Says:

    loved reading your blog, seems you guys had a great time. your project looks great.

  6. scrapgeek Says:

    Looks like a great trip Michelle!!

  7. That Girl Says:

    sounds like a really fun and productive trip. And I love all the photos from it. And that journal is so neat!!

  8. Natalie Says:

    I love how the cover of your journal turned out! Such great mix of products. And loved seeing pictures of your trip...you made me miss snowboarding. Thank god winter is around the corner for me...

  9. beth opel Says:

    Hi Michelle!

    Thanks for visiting my blog! You are too cute for words, and your work is very beautiful and inspiring.

  10. ~currant7 Says:

    i do miss the snow. gotta bring ed up to see some snow and go skiing with him. :)
    you guys really did have a wonderful trip!

    the journals rock! love that Love Elsie stickers and pp a lot. :)

  11. Lynda Says:

    Woohoo, what an awesome weekend you had, and such a newsy post. Love your layouts and your new album - very cool especially with all the doodling.

  12. What a great pictures of a cool trip. I totally love your BOM pages, they are awesome!

  13. Siany Says:

    Sounds like you had a fabulous time! Gorgeous photos!! And you book is looking great! xx

  14. Lillsisslill Says:

    Love your book! It looks great!
    Cool trip and super fun pictures!
    Thank you for the sweet comments on my blog!!!
    Once again love your book!


  15. melanie Says:

    awesome pics!! just the name whakapapa (sp?) sounds fun. glad you had a getaway.


  16. Monique Says:

    Michelle your journal makes me want to do one too!! Love your IMHO journaling...and by the way keep that dream for Paris going, overated is certainly not a word I would use for a city filled with such an abundance of history,life, and atmosphere... the beauty and magic was still there when I visited!!

  17. micayla Says:

    Loving all the eye candy. That journal is delish girl!
    Glad you had a great trip the pics are fab!

  18. Shannon Says:

    I found your link on Elise Blaha's site - so glad I did. Your layouts are wonderful, and your trip looks killer!